Christie's launch two-day art courses to help you at auction
What’s On details two-day art courses in Dubai, from Christie’s at Jumeirah Emirates Towers Hotel, titled The Introduction To The International Art Market.
The world of luxury art auctions can be an intimidating. To make the experience less daunting, Christie’s Education is running a two-day course at Jumeirah Emirates Towers. The Introduction To The International Art Market is perfect if you’re interested in the local and global scene, but don’t really know where to start. There’ll be eight modules covering everything from how auctions work to bidding on luxury handbags, as well as presentations, panel discussions and private gallery tours.
Michael Jeha, managing director of Christie’s Middle East, gives some tips on how to become an art afficionado.
– You must absolutely love what you buy. First follow your heart and then buy with your head.
– You don’t have to be a millionaire to start a collection. Collectors can start by buying artworks for a few hundred dollars at auctions through dealers, exhibitions or art fairs and then, if finances permit, move up the scale as their knowledge and confidence increase.
– The best way to acquire knowledge – or an “eye” as it is called – is to go and look at art. Christie’s is holding a free exhibition October 19 to 22.
– Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Showing someone around is one of the most rewarding parts of our job.
– Do your research. Auction catalogues are published online a month before the sale. Identify the lots you are interested in, look at the price estimates and fix your upper limit to avoid getting carried away.
– Go online. The internet has made the art market more accessible than ever before and is a useful tool for beginners.
October 19 to 20
Jumeirah Emirates Towers Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, 10am to 5pm. Tel: (04) 4255639. Metro: Emirates Towers. christies.edu