Glasgow Kiss - Art Department jet in for Blue Marlin set
What’s On pals Hype have the lowdown on Art Department’s Kenny Glasgow ahead of his appearance at Blue Marlin Ibiza UAE on Friday night, with Jixo&Dans.
– Hype Awards
– Hype’s UAE A-Z
– Sandance line-up
– Blue Marlin birthday bash
– Jixo&Dans Top 10
Expect hordes of beautiful people and music connoisseurs at Blue Marlin Ibiza UAE when Art Department’s Kenny Glasgow takes the controls. Still not convinced? Here’s ten good reasons from our pals at Hype why you should check him out…
01. Kenny forms half of Art Department along with fellow Canadian jock Jonny White, a perfect partnership that sees Kenny’s vocals paired with Jonny’s synth-driven music. The innovative duo is known for their futuristic techno.
02. Having already chalked up 20 years of DJing experience, Kenny paired up with Jonny in 2009 and in five short years they’ve skyrocketed to become one of the most popular duos in dance music.
03. Music has consumed Kenny’s life from an early age. “I didn’t have a father figure growing up, so my mom would send me to stay with my uncle during the summer, to instill good values in me,” he explains. This resulted in a teenage Kenny hanging out with his cousin a great deal. “He used to buy disco and garage records and so that got me into playing records and DJing.”
04. Soon Kenny was dodging school and hitting the record shops in Toronto. “I used to just go in there and hang out, I didn’t even buy records,” he says. “Then I met two very cool guys called Jeremy Beckman and Mike Sitchon and they really liked my taste in music, so we got together and started to play and throw parties together. We became a crew, JMK – Jeremy, Mike and Kenny – and we started getting the most bookings in the city.”
05. Before their union, No.19 label owner Jonny was already a huge fan of Kenny. “I used to pay thirty bucks to go and hear Kenny when he was a resident at Industry in Toronto,” he recalls. “He was pretty much the biggest DJ at the time.”
06. Without You, Art Department’s first single, was named Resident Advisor’s track of the year in 2010.
07. Art Department was named the second best DJ/producers in the world by Vibe magazine last year, beaten only by Daft Punk.
08. Having brought out music under his own steam under various monikers including Sick Puppy and The Talent, Kenny cites Kerri Chandler, Robert Owens and Richie Hawtin as his biggest influences.
09. Kenny’s vocal prowess comes from his gospel background. “I was vocally and musically trained from a young age,” he says.
10. Plenty of big name DJs are fans, including Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler, Erol Alkan and Laurent Garnier.
Friday October 10
Art Department’s Kenny Glasgow at Blue Marlin, Ghantoot Al Jazira Island Hotel, Dubai; 1pm to 11pm. Tel: (056) 1133400. Taxi: Ghantoot Al Jazira. Free guestlist (bluemarlinibiza-uae.com)