Hear German techno legend Moritz von Oswald in Dubai
Need an education in techno? Moritz Von Oswald at Analog Room is the answer.
Dubai’s award-wining techno party, Analog Room kickstarts its new season tonight with a treat for the heads – an all-night long set from enigmatic German techno legend Moritz von Oswald.
Von Oswald (above), a multi-instrumentalist who went on to become a dub techno pioneer, will take to the decks when the doors open at Industrial Avenue at 10pm and play right through until 3am, weaving a rare all-night set. “This is something very unusual and we are grateful to have him doing this for us,” said Analog Room promoter Mehdi Ansari. “This is going to be a night for the ones who know.” For those that don’t know already, here are six reasons why Moritz von Oswald should be on your radar…
01. A classically trained percussionist, electronic music came calling to von Oswald in the late ’80s and he later co-founded the revered label Basic Channel with Mark Ernestus.
02. His Basic Channel and Maurizio output came to epitomize dub techno, while his Rhythm & Sound releases (again with Ernestus) married his interest in dub reggae to techno.
03. Entrenched in the music scene around Berlin’s Tresor club and record label, von Oswald was instrumental in developing the Berlin – Detroit relationship, forging cross-Atlantic bonds with Motor City techno artists like Robert Hood and Jeff Mills, as well as Juan Atkins (pictured).
04. As Borderland, Atkins and Oswald released the Transport album on the Tresor label last year. The longplayer cruises through mind-playing horizontal techno and broken beat into more club-friendly affairs. Listen to the track Odyssey from the album here…
05. Transport served as a follow-up to Atkins and von Oswald’s 2013 longplayer classic, Borderland, but the two greats have a collaboration history that stretches back to the early ’90s.
06. Von Oswald is a considered a master of electronic experimentalism and technical exactitude by his peers. Find out why at Analog Room.
Industrial Avenue, The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, Dubai, Friday, June 29, 10pm to 3am, Dhs100, ladies free before 11pm. Taxi: The Westin, Dubai. analogroomdxb