There's going to be a huge K-Pop concert in Abu Dhabi this weekend
Are you a K-Pop fan? Well get ready to freak out if you are…
KCON 2016 is landing in the capital this weekend. What’s that you ask? Only a huge K-pop and South Korean cultural convention that will be held at the du arena in Abu Dhabi. Here’s what to expect…
THE MUSICAL LINE UP
– SPICA (the ladies pictured above) are a five strong girl group known for their serious sass…
– New to the lineup is Korea’s answer to Beyonce, Ailee – who, while most famous in South Korea, actually grew up in New Jersey.
Here’s one of her biggest tunes:
– TaeYeon, most famous for being a member of K-Pop super group Girls’ Generation, started her solo career only last year, and in December she won the award for ‘Best Female Artist’ at the 17th Mnet Asian Music Awards.
Here’s one of her soaring ballads (with a bit of Korean rap thrown in for good measure):
– BTS also go by the name Bangtan Boys, and are a seven member boy band that sit somewhere between the rock, R&B and hip hop genre. Expect their fans to go wild.
– Also there this weekend will be ballad singer Cho Kyu-hyun (from group Super Junior), boy band Double S 301 and hip hop boy group Monsta X. Here’s their top tune:
The Hallyu event will also see a bunch of activities that celebrate South Korean culture. The particular highlights will be the beauty stands (hello product shopping, those Koreans know their pampering stuff) and the food stalls (yum).
KCon is in its fifth year (it travels around the world), but this is the first time it’s ever come to the Middle East.
du arena, Yas Leisure Drive, Yas Island. Doors open 2pm, concert doors open 8pm, Friday March 25. Dhs350 for gold tickets (available at Virgin Megastores and at ticketmaster.ae). More info on website.