Want to know the secret to a perfect weekend? Hint: it has an Italian accent
Sponsored: Wow your friends with this Grana Padano recipe…
At a time when staying in is the new going out, it pays to have a few tried and tested recipes handy. This weekend, impress your family with this recipe for fried Italian meatballs with a cheesy secret in the centre. It’s a dish that’s so delicious it will keep you talking for the rest of the week…
So, what’s the secret you ask? These are no ordinary meatballs. Made with a mixture of veal and beef mince, this recipe has Grana Padano at its heart. Each bite-sized meatball is filled with Grana Padano, the Italian cheese that needs at least nine months of ageing, to over 20 months, to develop its unique taste.
Choosing the right Grana Padano
The flavour of Grana Padano varies depending on its maturity. Grana Padano that’s been aged for nine to 16 months has a mild, milky flavour, while Grana Padano that’s aged for more than 16 months has a tasty aroma of hay and dried fruit.
When Grana Padano is aged for more than 20 months, the taste is rich and full of flavour, yet never overpowering. The aroma is at once fragrant and delicate, with notes of butter, hay and dried fruit.
- 400g minced veal
- 100g minced beef
- 150g few days’ old bread
- 100ml milk
- 50g grated Grana Padano aged over 16 months
- 50g small chunks of Grana Padano aged over 16 months
- 150g bread crust, very finely chopped
- 200g flour
- 8 egg yolks
- 500g sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the two types of meat together and season with salt and pepper.
- Soak the few days’ old bread in milk for at least 1 minute to soften.
- Squeeze the bread, then add it to the meat and mix well using a spoon or fork.
- Add the grated Grana Padano to the mixture.
- Roll the meatballs (25g each – about the size of a golf ball), inserting a small chunk of Grana Padano in the centre of each one with your finger.
- Toss the finely chopped bread crust with a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan, and fry until crisp. Leave to cool down.
- Roll the meatballs in the flour, then in the egg and lastly in the fried bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a pan, then fry the meatballs at 160°C for 3-4 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve.
Share your creation
Create these classic Italian meatballs at home, take a picture, share it on Instagram and tag @granapadano for a chance to have your creation featured on the Grana Padano Instagram page.
You might also like
Win with Grana Padano
Don’t miss the October issue of What’s On magazine, when Grana Padano will be giving you the chance to win an exclusive dinner for two at one of Dubai’s finest Italian restaurants.
Shop for Grana Padano cheese in the UAE at Spinneys, Waitrose, Monoprix, Carrefour, Giant and Eataly Dubai Mall. For more information on Grana Padano, visit: granapadano.it/en-ww/granapadano-in-uae.aspx