VIDEO: We strap ourselves to the outside of a plane and wingwalk
We stood on the outside of a plane mid-flight. Yes, actually. See the video here!
Here in the UAE, we’ve become pretty accustomed to seeing daredevils on our doorstep: parkour experts have taken to the sky(scrapers) and performed vertigo-inducing tricks, while the XLine Dubai lets you travel via zipline all the way across and over the Dubai Fountain, landing on the roof of the Dubai Mall.
We thought we’d seen (and done) it all, and then came the Breitling Wingwalkers. The world’s only wingwalking aerobatic formation team are in the UAE for the Red Bull Air Race in Abu Dhabi this weekend, and invited What’s On to give it a go at Skydive Dubai. Check out the video below.
If you ever decide to give it a go yourself, here are a few things to keep in mind:
1) There’s no way to keep a straight face. The planes reach speeds of around 150mph, and the wing force will make your cheeks ripple and your mouth dribble. Just go with it.
2) You’ll feel incredibly secure – you’re strapped in firmly, and the Breitling Wingwalkers will talk you through the process so you know you’re in safe hands.
3) Spreading your arms wide with the thumbs up means “I’m having a great time, carry on what you’re doing!” Spreading your arms wide with your thumbs down means “Please stop immediately.” You can also ask him or her to land at any time.
4) If the pilot asks you if you’d like to go upside down, the answer should always be yes.
5) You can’t do it if you’re over 6 foot 2. Just too tall for the plane to handle.
Breitling’s glamorous daredevils perform some incredible feats while strapped to Breitling biplanes. Their airborne act includes doing flips and handstands, and they’ve described the experience as “like doing gymnastics in a hurricane.”
To catch the Breitling Wingwalkers live, head for the Red Bull Air Race in Abu Dhabi this weekend. The event brings together 24 of the world’s most daring pilots, with the Abu Dhabi show marking the opening of the season in a tour that will take in Austria, Japan, Hungary, Germany and the US.
Corniche, Abu Dhabi, Fri 1pm, Sat noon, Dhs1,725 to Dhs3,600, children under six free. Taxi: Abu Dhabi Corniche. redbullairrace.com